National Park-Museum “Shipka”
The first monuments were Russian and were built in 1878-1881.
The Bulgarian monuments on the Shipka battlefield are of the 3rd and the 5th bodies of volunteers (1910) and the Monument of Freedom on Sveti Nikola peak (nowadays Shipka peak), unveiled in 1934.
Each year on 3 March and in August of Shipka thousands of Bulgarians gather to commemorate the fallen heroes and to celebrate the victory that bore the freedom of Bulgaria.
The Shipka peak is 28 km distant from the town of Kazanlak, and 22 km from the town of Gabrovo. Comfortable bus transport is provided from both towns. The access to the National Park-Museum “Shipka” is very much suitable for car tourists. The numerous cafes and restaurants in the area are also available to the visitors, as are two hotels.